February 15, 2011

At the intersections--

Busy, busy, busy...What's cool is everything I'm busy with seems to be all connected to this fellowship. There's things to do at the RIC--people to follow up with, surveys to plan, research to investigate and turn around, social media websites to update. There's things to do for the Health Brigade, a project I'm working on with some friends--working out the details for the website, compiling our mission statement, figuring out just what "good care" looks like and how to start people talking about good care and where to find it. There's things to do with "Stop Transphobic Reporting Now!"--local and national connections to make, meetings to attend, people to update...Not to mention getting library books reasonably on time, washing the dishes, searching for work-appropriate clothes in my size, supporting cool stuff other people are doing, watching the (mostly disappointing) Grammy's, celebrating Valetine's Day with my sweetheart and friends by eating heart-shaped pizza and hanging out...Then things all seem to come together when I talk with a friend at my local queer bar about starting a sexual health campaign for female-born, masculine-presenting folks at a clinic offering internships!

And hey! Did you hear Rustbelt Radio on WRCT, WPTS, podcast, streaming live, etc. etc. this week?? They interviewed me for a story about the recent transphobic news story. Contact me to stay involved with that or join the Facebook group.

So now it's been nearly a month since the fellowship began. I'm keeping up with everything better than I thought, but I can feel another swell coming soon. Detailed project plan is nearly complete and thinking about bringing together LGBT student groups in the area with LGBT-focused internship opportunities, tapping all involved about being LGBT in the workplace and/or what LGBT organizations bring to the larger community and incorporating that with the larger student/internship systems at work in the SWPA region...

One cool thing I got to do recently was visit the Good Grief Center for Bereavement Support in Squirrel Hill to interview the staff there for a video blog about their internship program. (I refuse to say "vlog") The GGC provides free support (one-on-one, over-the-phone and in groups) to those grieving the loss of a loved one, or even anticipated loss. I got a chance to talk further with them about the grieving process, especially how the "talking about it" seems to help so much: people experiencing grief "have to tell their story, sometimes many times, to make it more concrete, more real for themselves." Yes--This idea keeps coming up everywhere if I take a little time to search for it.

p.s. My new favorite queer community alphabet soup combo: QUILTBAG--queer/questioning, intersex, lesbian, trans, bisexual, asexual/ally, gay. LOVE this! (Thanks Alicia!)

Martin Niemöller
p.p.s. Thanks, Briana, for pointing me in the direction of Lee Harrington's essay "Growing Beautiful Flowers at the Intersections: From Complex Ecosystems to Interstitial Collaboration." This reminds me of how we would have nothing without the total combination of all of our efforts, and how great and beautiful "flowers" erupt at the intersections of our selves and communities. It also reminds me of the poem "First they came" by Martin Niemöller and of proposed Title X  funding-slash (take action!) and how each of us can only do so much alone, but together we can have so much more.

2 comments:

  1. doing dishes?!?! i don't recall seeing you do that!
    jay kay. good post. sharing is important & i'm glad you're doing such good work.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome for Lee Harrington's essay. Thanks for the shout-out ;-)

    Regarding the term "QUILTBAG", I love that someone finally created something pronounceable! I have mixed feelings about some identities sharing letters, though. My initial reaction was: "Why do some identities get an entire letter to themselves while others have to share? Are we further marginalizing [a portion of] the marginal?" I know that sounds ridiculous--and QQUUILTBAAG perhaps even moreso--but I still have to wonder if there may be a kernel of truth embedded in that gut reaction.

    Identity politics aside, your opening paragraph reminds me of my own experience as well. I love when the majority of my "work" (paid and otherwise) revolves around a group of common challenges. When this happens, I find I am even more productive than if I were working more hours on completely disparate issues. (I'm sure there's research out there to back up both of our experiences.)

    Keep writing, Ray, and we'll keep reading!

    Briana

    ReplyDelete