April 6, 2011

Project Intern: LGBT Community Outreach

So--Some big recent developments to report. "Project Intern: LGBT Community Outreach" is under way! This project identifies organizations and businesses in southwestern PA who offer internships and are interested in direct outreach to the LGBT community to advertise those internship opportunities. LGBT students looking for internships will be able to search through the Regional Internship Center website to find positions with employers who are committed to LGBT inclusion in the workplace. Students will also receive email updates of available positions. Employers who sign on will fill out surveys about workplace environment and will have the opportunity to work with the RIC to develop the best internship program for both the employer and for the intern (this in the form of employer workshops, a monthly program developed by the RIC).
So far, there are 5 or 6 organizations that are interested. And 2 LGBT student groups. For-profit businesses are kind of a blind spot for me but there are organizations in Pittsburgh that focus on diversity in the workplace and have business contacts.

Also--I just found out 2 days ago that my workshop proposal was accepted for this year's Philly Trans Health Conference. Caught me a little off guard since it was about 3 weeks after they said I would hear back about it...But after last night's meeting with Michelle (thanks!) I feel better about what that can be. In general I'm freaked out about how to boil down all this noise into one true note...Like what do I want to leave in my wake? It must be clear, and simple, and affective. What do I want to leave the RIC? What do I want to leave to the community? What do I want to give to the folks who (hopefully) show up to my workshop? I've been asking myself these questions all along--but I still don't feel much closer to the answers.

I want to start a dialogue--between QUILTBAG folks and employers, between QUILTBAG folks and other QUILTBAG folks about all the things that we can do and others can do to make our workplaces into places that we want to be--where who we are is an asset not a drawback. We can inform each other about what works, what doesn't work, what our major concerns are, what resources we need that are specific to our community. It's about investing in the work that we do--and the future careers (by this I don't just mean employment) of LGBT youth. And I guess I don't just mean youth either, as folks of all ages may deal with conflict at work about being queer.

1 comment:

  1. Ray, I really like the sound of your project the way you've just shared it. Clearly you are tuning your message already, and the process you're working on will enable you to make it sweet and sharp. Nice work.

    Does Project Intern have Trans or Queer Cultural Competency trainings for employers built in? If not, is that something you see as missing that you'd like to include, not just for your project, but for what you will leave with the RIC?

    ReplyDelete